Friday, April 20, 2012

Cake, Ice Cream, and Disappointment

So my intention was to make another Food Network Magazine recipe, this time for some amazing looking ice cream sandwich cakes, but alas, the best laid plans of mice and cooks. First, the cake recipe called for dutch-process cocoa powder and I could only find natural unsweetened cocoa (I tried to make the cake anyway with what I had, but the result was less than appetizing). So instead, I tried a shortcut, making a box cake.  It took me all day, with multiple trips to the grocery store (not to mention all day daddy duty) and the result was simply cake and ice cream, which, while still classically nice, was nothing worth blogging about.


Perhaps there is something special about the ice cream sandwiches if you actually follow the recipe and use the dutch-process cocoa, but even taking that into consideration, I don't see how there could be much difference. Anyway, I very rarely have a recipe go wrong for me (I think because I tend to only pick recipes that I can tell will be awesome) and I found that, quite frankly, I don't much care for it.


As a consolation, I offer you a pretty quick dessert alternative: Cream Cheese-filled Strawberries. Simply whip up a serving of the cream cheese filling that goes along with the Banana-Cream Cheese Breakfast Cakes I posted a few days ago and stuff it into some hulled strawberries. The result is quick, elegant, and oh-so-delicious!

 

Coming up next is one of our regulars, Mandarin Pork and Wild Rice. You do not want to miss that!

Happy Eating!
~ Jason

4 comments:

  1. Even though it wasn't "awesome" I hope there is ice cream and cake left? And of course, cream cheese stuffed strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've filled hulled straberries with cannoli filling! SOO delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I hadn't thought about cannoli filling, but that does sound yummy. I'll have to give it a try.

      Delete