Monday, May 7, 2012

Rainy Sundays and Applesauce Pancakes

I apologize for such a long hiatus. I know how much everyone looks forward to learning awesome new recipes, but it has been a long and tired couple of weeks. Hopefully the nicer weather and our impending change of scenery prompt an increase in energy as well. Luckily, even though I wasn't posting, I was still trying new things in the kitchen so I have a whole slew of goodies to present in the coming days. First up is a quick and easy recipe for Oatmeal and Applesauce Pancakes that I found on Allrecipes.com


Cook Time:

Active: 20 min.
Total: 40 min.

Yield:

about 10 pancakes, depending on how big you make 'em

Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup quick cooking oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup sour cream
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup milk

Instructions:

  1. Heat a lightly oiled griddle over medium-low heat.
  2. In a bowl, mix the four, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, mix applesauce, sour cream, egg, and vanilla. Stir applesauce mixture and milk into the flour mixture until evenly moist and thick.
  3. Scoop about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto the prepared griddle, and cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides.


Results:

These made a fantastic breakfast for a rainy Sunday! They are more dense than regular pancakes, but I found they stuck with me longer too. I had two stacks, one topped with syrup and one topped with honey, and both tasted great. I thought the pancakes themselves could have been sweeter, but Megan thought they were just right, and I guess the syrup and/or honey adds sweetness as well. 

Rating:

Difficulty: 1 out 5
Taste: 5 out of 5
Will I make it again? You bet!

So warm up your griddles, whip up some pancakes, and stay tuned for some exciting new treats such as Megan's Strawberry Shortcake, Aunt Amy's Lemon Blueberry Poundcake, and another installment of Philly Phavorites featuring the Japanese restaurant Tampopo.

Happy Eating!
~Jason


4 comments:

  1. Whenever I have apple pancakes (kinda not the same but whatever) I just sprinkle some sugar on for sweetness. Maybe I will make these and try that, since I loathe syrup.

    Requests: Megan's strawberry pretzel salad concoction. I cannot for the life of me EVER remember the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call on the strawberry pretzel salad! And how do you loathe syrup? It's mapley and delicious.

      Delete
  2. We will allow you to make these for us some Sunday morning,One Sleepy Chef!!

    ReplyDelete